Arrive promptly at the time specified by the surgery scheduler. If you are having surgery at an outpatient surgery center, you will usually be asked to arrive one hour before your scheduled surgery. Times may differ if you will be admitted to the hospital prior to surgery. Most pre-operative blood, lab or paper work is preformed prior to the day of your surgery.
Someone from the surgery center or hospital will call you to discuss pre-operative instructions. They usually include the following:
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight the day of your surgery. You may brush your teeth, taking care not to swallow any water.
- Follow your doctor’s orders regarding the taking of any medications the night before or the day of your surgery.
- Refrain from smoking after midnight the day of your surgery.
- Notify your surgeon if there is any change in your physical condition, such as a cold, fever or flu symptom.
- If there is a chance you are pregnant, please notify your surgeon immediately.